This is great for vegetarians or when you have visitors. It’s substantial and can be served on its own for lunch.
Cooking time: 10 min
You will need
500 ml (2 cups) couscous
500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
pinch of salt
30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
1 butternut, peeled and diced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
45 ml (3 tbsp) oil
about 45 ml (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of brown sugar
5-10 ml (1-2 tsp) veggie sprinkle
1 punnet (250 g) cherry tomatoes
60 ml (¼ cup) canola or olive oil
125 ml (½ cup) balsamic vinegar
3 celery sticks, sliced (optional)
150 g (3 rounds) feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 180 °C and lightly grease a baking sheet with oil or butter.
1. Place the couscous in a medium-size saucepan and pour over the boiling water to which a pinch of salt has been added.
2. Cook for 2 minutes until the granules are swollen.
3. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for a few minutes until all the water has been absorbed. Add the butter and fluff, using a fork to separate the granules.
1. Put the butternut and sweet potatoes on a prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar and veggie sprinkle. Roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
2. Add the tomatoes about 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
3. Toss the couscous and roasted veggies lightly in a large salad bowl, and top with the celery and feta cheese.
Mix the ingredients together and drizzle over the salad before serving.