The government may announce its plans for the implementation of e-tolling in Gauteng on Friday.
Inter-ministerial committee (IMC) on the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project spokesman Thabo Masebe said on Thursday that the briefing could be delayed.
In a text message he said: “It is still on, but the time has not yet been set because of another meeting with stakeholders. The announcement may even be delayed until Saturday.”
The “stakeholders” mentioned apparently include the Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu).
Earlier on Thursday, Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven said the government would be “jumping the gun” if it went ahead with the announcement.
Cosatu has mounted a strong campaign against e-tolling, maintaining it is the wrong way to raise money for the country’s freeway systems.
The government’s plans to introduce e-tolling in Gauteng have provoked opposition by motorists and residents of South Africa’s economic heartland.